Throughout his career, Mr. Clyde has specialized in natural resources law, including oil and gas, public land law, and mining law, with a primary emphasis in water law.
Mr. Clyde has represented many clients in the buying and selling of water rights and in the conversion of water rights from agricultural irrigation use to domestic, municipal, and industrial use for development of real property, particularly in the resort areas of Summit County, Utah. He has represented parties in the negotiations of a Lease of Power Privilege on Bureau of Reclamation Facilities for the Central Utah Project and in the negotiation of power sales contracts from the hydroelectric facilities constructed under the lease. He is general counsel to the Central Utah Water Conservancy District, the sponsor of the Central Utah Project, and is knowledgeable regarding federal reclamation law. Real estate development projects for which he handled the water rights acquisition and conversion include the Jeremy Ranch, Park Meadows Golf Course and Development, Glenwild Golf Resort, Ranch Place, Landmark Plaza, Mountain Regional Water Special Service District, Summit Park Special Service District, Park City Mountain Resort, Snowbasin Ski Resort, Brian Head Ski Resort, and many others.
He has represented many individuals and entities before the State Engineer of the State of Utah, both as applicants and as protestants to water rights applications, and has litigated water rights appeals in the district courts, the Supreme Court of the State of Utah, and the federal courts. He also has experience in local government law and has represented many clients in planning and zoning activities before city and county planning and zoning authorities; drafted a water concurrency ordinance for Summit County, Utah; and created local special districts to provide water and sewer service within and without incorporated municipalities.
Additionally, he has served on the Utah Legislature’s Water Task Force and on the Executive’s Water Task Force since 2007 to revise Utah’s water laws. He is also a registered lobbyist for Central Utah Water Conservancy District.
- Juris Doctor, University of Utah College of Law (1975)
- Bachelor of Science, Political Science, University of Utah (1972)
- Central Utah Water Conservancy District; Salt Lake City Corporation; Murray City Corporation, Sinclair Oil Company
- Powdr Corporation; Snowbasin Ski Resort and Powder Mountain
- Gunnison Irrigation Company; Henefer Irrigation Company; Bear River Canal Company; Bear River Water Users Association; Beaver-Shingle Creek Irrigation Company; South Kansas Irrigation Company; Washington Irrigation Company; Wasatch Irrigation Company
- Magnum Development LLC
- TCFC Canyon Fuel Company
Awards and Honors
- Utah Business Magazine Legal Elite, Energy and Natural Resources (2017)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation (2015)
- Rated AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell 20 years
- Listed in Chambers USA for Environment & Natural Resources Law
- Outstanding Service in the Private Sector Award, American Water Users’ Association (Utah Chapter) (2012)
- Best Lawyers in America, Best Natural Resources Lawyer of the Year, 2014, Best Water Lawyer of the Year 2012 and 2011
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Energy and Natural Resources, Environmental
- Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, Natural Resources Law, and Water Law (1995 - 2017)
- Utah Business Magazine Legal Elite, Environmental and Natural Resources Law
- Board of Advisors, Dividing the Waters (2013)
- Governing Council, American Bar Association, Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section (1989 - 1991)
- Former Chair, Utah State Bar, Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section (1989 - 1990)
- Former Chair, American Bar Association, Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section, Water Resources Committee (1985 - 1988)
- Past Chair, Utah State Bar, Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section, Water Law Committee (1983 - 1986)
- Member, former Chairman, University of Utah College of Law Alumni Association
- Former Chair, Vice-Chair, and Board member, Utah Open Lands Conservation Association
- Past Board of Trustees, Utah Water Conservation Forum
- Adjunct faculty member, S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah (2001 - 2004, 2007 - 2009)