Salt Lake City Office
PDF | V-Card
District of Columbia (1982)
Perrin R. Love
Shareholder and Director
Mr. Love's business litigation experience includes antitrust claims brought under the Sherman Act and the Robinson-Patman Act (unfair competition, price fixing, price discrimination, concerted refusal to deal, horizontal and vertical restraints, and predatory conduct); intellectual property claims (trademark, trade dress, trade secret, unfair competition, and breaches of non-competition and non-disclosure agreements); and corporate, commercial, and securities litigation (insider self-dealing, minority shareholder disputes and valuation of minority shares, shareholder derivative claims, minority share valuation claims, securities fraud, RICO, and other business torts).
Mr. Love has represented both property owners and various condemning authorities (including an interstate natural gas utility, a water district, state agencies, and municipalities) in state and federal eminent domain proceedings. Mr. Love has litigated real estate claims involving title insurance, easements and rights of way, surveys, and boundary disputes.
Mr. Love has represented attorneys, appraisers, and other professionals in defense of professional liability and malpractice claims.
Mr. Love has served as Special Assistant Attorney General on behalf of the Utah Department of Transportation in a complex eminent domain action. He also served as Special Counsel to the Utah State Bar at trial in disbarment proceedings. He began his career as an associate at Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C., following a clerkship with the Honorable Francis D. Murnaghan, Jr., of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit in Baltimore, Maryland.
Juris Doctor, University of Virginia School of Law (1980); Note & Comment Editor, University of Virginia Law Review
Bachelor of Arts, Yale College (1975), magna cum laude with departmental honors in English
Awards and Honors
- Mountain States Super Lawyers; Business Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Eminent Domain (2007-12)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law
- Super Lawyers National Business Edition, Litigation
- Utah Business Magazine Legal Elite, Business Litigation, Civil Litigation
- Member, Judicial Nominating Commission for Third District Court (2007–2010)
- Chair, Supreme Court Subcommittee on Model Jury Instructions, Eminent Domain
- Member, Supreme Court Subcommittee on Model Jury Instructions, Fraud & Deceit
- Master of the Bench, Inns of Court (1991–present)
- Co-Chair, Utah State Bar Annual Convention (2002)
- Member, Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee, Rules of Civil Procedure (1991–2001)
- Member, Executive Committee of the Salt Lake County Bar (1996–2001)
- UDOT v. FPA West Point, LLC, et. al., 2012 UT 79 (co-argued)
- Hentsch Henchoz & Cie v. Gubbay, 2004 UT 64, 97 P.3d 1282 (argued) (staying and dismissing appeal of claims brought by a Swiss bank against financial services corporation for fraud, civil conspiracy, breach of contract and conversion in connection with $25 million investment)
- Eggett v. Wasatch Energy Corp., 94 P.3d 193 (Utah 2004) (argued) (affirming jury verdict on claims brought by shareholder and former chief executive officer against energy company for breach of employment agreement, breach of shareholder agreement, and breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing)
- Bell v. Fur Breeders Agricultural Cooperative, 348 F.3d 1224 (10th Cir. 2003) (argued) (affirming summary judgment dismissing claims against an agricultural cooperative for violations of Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act and the Robinson Antitrust Act)
Pro Bono Activities