A skilled orator, Mr. Barnes has argued numerous cases before the Utah Court of Appeals, the Utah Supreme Court, and the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. He represents clients in various types of litigation, specializing in real property, construction, water, and employment law. He also serves as a mediator for construction disputes.
Mr. Barnes has been actively involved in resolving construction disputes since the mid-1980s. He has represented owners, general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers in claims involving differing site conditions, change order disputes, acceleration and delay claims, construction defects, and early termination of contracts. Often, these claims have involved significant critical path and other schedule impact analyses.
He has acted as lead counsel in construction trials and arbitration hearings lasting from half day to six weeks and has been retained on multiple occasions by the State of Utah to first investigate and report on complex construction disputes and then conduct evaluative mediation of those disputes. He has also successfully conducted private construction mediations and has taught seminars in the area of design-build construction.
Lately, Mr. Barnes has been involved in significant trial and appellate work involving water works and water rights, including right-of-way and interference claims.
- Juris Doctor, University of Utah College of Law (1978)
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Utah (1975)
- U.S. District Court, District of Utah
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Judicial Clerk, Judge Bruce S. Jenkins, U.S. District Court, District of Utah (1978-1979)
Awards and Honors
- Utah Business Magazine, Utah Legal Elite, Construction (2020-2022)
- Best Lawyers in America©, Construction Law (2011-2022)
- Best Lawyers in America©, Real Estate Law (2012-2022)
- Best Lawyers in America©, Land Use and Zoning Law (2013-2022)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers®, Construction Litigation; Business Litigation; Real Estate (2012‑2021)
- Utah Business Magazine, Utah Legal Elite, Civil Litigation (2015, 2018-2019)
- 2017 Construction Law “Lawyer of the Year,” Best Lawyers in America© (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell®
- “Old Claims and Old Statutes – The History and Function of the Employers’ Reinsurance Fund,” Workers’ Compensation Annual Seminar (June 2015)
- “The Evolving World of Construction Defects,” The Seminar Group (June 2014)
- “Utah Construction Law Seminar,” Lorman Education Services (April 2001)
- “Utah Construction Law Seminar,” Lorman Education Services (April 2000)
- “Design-Build Seminar,” Lorman Education Services (October 1999)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Phi Alpha Theta